St. Philomena’s Church is a Roman Catholic Church constructed in 1936 by using a neo gothic style of architecture. Previously it was renowned as St. Joseph Chaver but later it assumed the name of St. Philomena’s church. The imposing twin tower that measures around 175 feet is an insignia of architecture and its entire structure is believed to be resembled the gothic style of St. Patrick’s cathedral at New York and a church at Cologne. The foundation stone of the church was laid by he then king of Mysuru Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV in 1933 and it was designed by French Architect.
Stained glass of the church which was made in France overlooks the apse and depicts the journey of enlightened Jesus, his birth, baptism and crucification. The altar of the church bears the effigy of St. Philomena’s a 3rd century saint from Greece. The church from tourism point of view is considered as one of the primary tourist location and from religious point of view it is home to ardent believers of Lord Christ following the sect of Roman Catholic.
Neo Gothic style was framed by French architect to design and the floor plan of the cathedral resembles a cross. The nave of the church is a main attraction and it could accommodate around 800 people to its inspiring stand.
The church remains open throughout the year from 5 am till 6 pm.
Weekdays: Morning – 5am to 9am; Evening – 6pm to 6.30pm
Sundays: Morning 5am – 6am, 6am – 7am; Evening 6am – 6.30pm
Best time to visit: October till February could be considered as best time to make a visit here.
Restrictions: Littering and Photography is strictly prohibited
From main town, St. Philomena’s Church is located at a distance of around 5 km and from main railway station it is around 2.4 km away.